Developing the following social skills will help you in your research.
- Collaborate by saying YES and NO appropriately.
- Ask for help and recognize when you really need it.
- Delegate appropriately and with clear lines of responsibility.
- Understand all contracts you agree to, how laws work and the basics of intellectual property law.
- Be professional under stress.
- Comunicate professionally by following email etiquette, netiquette, forum policies and avoiding flamewars.
- Understand and respect privacy.
- Give excellent presentations that serve real audience needs.
- Have an elevator speech ready to explain your research in 2 minutes to a strangers.
- Comunicate the broader impacts of your research.
Value development, decision and awareness skills:
- Decide when to trust someone and when someone will first have to earn trust.
- Caring about others and understanding why, while also caring for yourself.
- Developing ethical values that reflect the equal dignity of all human beings.
- Be aware how cultural currents can carry over into our research.
- Be aware of potential ethical implications of your research.